Some people are not aware that after you change your refrigerator water filter, there are two more steps that should be taken to complete the water filter change process.
Reset your water filter indicator light - Most new refrigerators come equiped with an indicator light that notifies you when it is time to change your water filter. This light does not automatically reset when you change your water filter.
Light Reset Instructions by Manufacturer:
- Amana Refrigerators - Press and hold the Auto and Dispenser Lock buttons until the water filter status indicator light flashes.
- Frigidaire Refrigerators - Press and Hold the Reset Button Until the Indicator Light Flashes.
- GE General Electric Refrigerators - Press and Hold the Reset Button for around 8 Seconds.
- HotPoint Refrigerators - Press and Hold the Reset Button for around 8 Seconds.
- Jenn-Air Refrigerators - Press and Hold The Light and Lock Buttons until the Water Filter light flashes.
- Kitchen Aid Refrigerators - Press and Release the Light Button 5 times Quickly.
- Maytag Refrigerators - Press and Hold The Light and Lock Buttons until the Water Filter light flashes.
- Samsung Refrigerators - Press and Hold the Ice Type and Child Lock Buttons at the same time for 3 seconds.
- Whirlpool Refrigerators - Press and Release the Light Button 5 times Quickly.
Flush a couple of gallons of water through your new filter. Since most refrigerator water filters are made of carbon, some carbon residue is present in the first gallon or two of water. This will leave a bitter taste and residue in your water. If you continue to have these problems after flushing a couple of gallons through the filter, it is possible that you have a defective water filter.
Once these two steps are completed, you are all set to enjoy great tasting ice and water through your refrigerator. If you don't see your manufacturer listed or the insructions don't work for your model please post a comment with your make and model number so that we can provide exact instructions for your model.